Australian Embassy

Emergency Assistance

When things go wrong

Most Australians have a great time in Brazil and don't have health, safety or other problems. However, sometimes things don't go as planned. 

Explore these pages for general advice about what you can do when things go wrong, including if you are a victim of a crime.

Local emergency authorities

If you’re in a life-threatening situation or need immediate assistance, contact the local emergency authorities.

  • local police: call 190
  • ambulance or medical emergencies: call 192
  • fire and rescue services: call 193

Female survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault can also access a dedicated hotline that provides access to local support services, including police by calling 180 (from a Brazilian number), 1800 88 15 50 (from an Australian number) or via the WhatsApp phone messaging application +55 61 99656-5008.

Tourist Police who speak English are available in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and at some major airports.

Rio de Janeiro: (+21) 2334 6802 or (+21) 2332 2924

São Paulo: (+11) 3120 4167

I need urgent help

If you need urgent help, emergency consular assistance is available 24 hours a day. Call the Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) in Canberra on:

1300 555 135 (within Australia)

+61 2 6261 3305 (from overseas)

Frequently asked questions

I need legal advice, can you help me?

You'll need to engage a local lawyer. To assist you, we maintain a list of local English-speaking lawyers for you to consider.

However, consular officers aren't lawyers themselves. They can't make representations on your behalf. They can't give you or your family legal advice or recommend which lawyer you should choose.


Last update: 29 July 2022