Notarial services are legal acts which allow a written record to be used for official or legal purposes. This includes using a document in a court of law. Notarial services are only for documents that are Australian in origin or intended for use in Australia. We charge fees for our service.
These services include:
- Certifying photos and true copies of documents
- Witnessing signatures
- Certification of Identity
- Legalising documents (apostille)
- Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI)
Before you request our notarial services, ask the receiving authority what they need from you. In many cases, you won't need our services.
Frequently asked questions
Can you provide me with guidance or advice on the notarial service I require?
You must ask the receiving authority what documents they want, and which ones you must get legalised. We can't tell you what the receiving wants, needs or expects. You must ask them directly.
Why do I need to pay a fee?
We are legislatively required to charge a fee for all notarial services. Fees increase in line with the consumer price index (CPI) for Australia on 1 January each year. For payments under the local currency (available for in-person appointments only), the fees are reviewed monthly in line with the exchange rate fluctuation.
I am in Rio de Janeiro, how do I request an appointment here at the Honorary Consulate?
Honorary Consulate staff are not authorised under the relevant legislation to perform notarial services.
Can I send my documents by mail?
Yes. But only the following Notarial services can be submitted by mail:
- Certified copy of original documents
- Certificate of No Impediment applications appropriately witnessed (only those witnessed by a local notary public ie cartorio are acceptable). Signatures witnessed by other Australians with valid qualifications or occupations who may be able to witness signatures in Australia, will not be accepted for Certificate of No Impediment purposes in Brazil.
Notarial services by mail are offered from within Brazil only.
For mailed-in notarial services to the Australian Embassy in Brasilia, payment can only be made in AUD, through international credit card. Other payment methods are not available for notarial services requests submitted by mail.
If you wish to send the documents to the Australian Consulate-General in São Paulo, please contact [email protected] for payment details.
We aim to return documents within five working days.
My original document is laminated/damaged. Can it be used for a notarial service?
Can you apostille my digital document?
You should email us your digital document for information.
Last update: 13 September 2023