To help us identify the person applying for an Australian passport, we may need someone (a "guarantor") to complete the guarantor declaration in the application form and endorse one of your photos by writing “This is a true photo of [your full name]” and signing underneath.
You should ensure that your guarantor:
- is not related to you by birth or marriage,
- is not in a de facto relationship with you,
- does not live at the same address,
- is over 18 years of age,
- has known you for at least 12 months,
- is readily available to discuss your application during normal business hours, and
- is a current Australian passport holder OR a non-Australian who is currently employed in the approved occupation groups or professions below.
Approved Occupation Groups and Professions
- Bank manager, except managers of bank travel centres
- Certified Practicing Accountant
- Clerk of a court
- Current law enforcement officer with five or more years of continuous service
- Current member of the armed forces with five or more years of continuous service
- Elected Representatives of Federal and State Governments, or a local or city council
- Engineer licensed by a federal, state or local government authority
- Judge of a court
- Lawyer or attorney registered with a state bar association
- Marriage celebrant (legal civil celebrant)
- Medical practitioner licensed by a federal, state or local government authority
- Permanent employee of the Federal Government or a state government or a local government with five or more years of continuous service with their current employer (public servants)
- Police Officers with at least 5 years continuous service
- Postal Manager of a post office
- Registered Chiropractors
- Registered medical practitioners
- Registered Nurse
- Registered Physiotherapists
- Registered Phycologists
- Registered Veterinary Surgeons
- Tax Agent enrolled or licensed to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service or a state or local government taxing authority
- Teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution with five or more years of service
Passport officers may contact your guarantor by telephone. As the applicant, you should ensure that your guarantor is aware of this and has provided appropriate daytime telephone contact details (preferably a mobile phone number). Any difficulties in contacting your guarantor will cause delays in issuing your passport.
What happens if I don't know anyone in Brazil within the required Guarantor's categories?
The guarantor does not need to be living in Brazil. For example, someone living in Australia that meets the requirements would be acceptable. You will need to forward your photograph to a suitable guarantor and they will need to complete the guarantor's section of the application form and sign the back of your photograph, then return these to you. As this process could take time we suggest you plan your passport application well in advance.
I have completed and printed an Australian Passport Renewal Application form online. Where does the guarantor need to sign?
A guarantor is not required to sign the form or photographs when using the streamlined renewal process. Additionally, you do not need to provide a birth certificate or proof of citizenship.
Last update: 22 September 2021