Australian Embassy

Applying for a visa or citizenship


Refer to the Department of Home Affairs website and the following information in English or Portuguese before applying for a visa or for citizenship. Spanish language information is available on the Australian Embassy in Argentina website.

Most visa and citizenship applications are lodged online via ImmiAccount. All information and evidence on the online document checklist should be provided at the time of lodgement. Review the document checklists regularly, as changes may occur. Applications without all required information and evidence may be refused without prior contact.


Citizenship applications

Visa applications

Minor applicants (children)

Senior applicants



Health requirement

Character requirement

Biometrics requirement

Visa types


Citizenship applications

Information on lodging citizenship applications is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.

If you were born outside Australia and at least one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth, you may apply for Australian citizenship by descent. This webpage has contains the following tabs and information:

·       ‘Overview’ contains information about the cost, and average processing times.

·       ‘Eligibility’ explains requirements.

·       ‘Step by step’ provides guidance on what documents to prepare and how to apply.

·       ‘After you apply’ provides further important information.

Incomplete applications may be refused. Upload high-quality colour scans of all required documentation to ImmiAccount when you apply. See requirements for details.


Visa applications

Visa options help you to find the most appropriate visa for your travel purpose.

The Department of Home Affairs website has pages for each visa type, containing the following tabs:

·       ‘Overview’ contains information about the stay period, visa application charge, and average processing times.

·       ‘About this visa’ provides further information about the visa purpose and particulars.

·       ‘Eligibility’ explains the visa criteria.

·       ‘Step by step’ lists required documentation and explains how to apply.

·       ‘When you have this visa’ provides information about visa conditions and obligations.

If you require assistance, refer to: who can help with your application. If you wish to appoint a migration agent to act on your behalf, complete and provide Form 956. If you wish to appoint any other person to receive correspondence on your behalf, complete and provide Form 956A.

Incomplete applications may be refused. Upload high-quality colour scans of all required documentation to ImmiAccount when you apply. See requirements for details.


Minor applicants

Applications by minors (children under 18 years of age) may take longer to process than other family members, even if applying together. Minors should apply well in advance of travel plans, and provide evidence that the children has permission to travel from all parents/legal guardians and that the child will have appropriate welfare arrangements in Australia.

All minors will need to provide at least one of the following, even if travelling with parents/guardians:

·       A birth certificate showing the names of both parents; or

·       Government issued documentation (such as a passport) showing the names of both parents; or

·       Adoption papers; or

·       A court order.

Minors not travelling with both parents/guardians must provide:

·       Form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (168KB PDF) signed by each parent/guardian; and

·       Official identity documents with the signature and photo of each parent/guardian.

If the minor will not stay with a relative over the age of 21 or legal guardian, provide one of the following:

·       Form 1257 - Undertaking declaration (201KB PDF), signed by the career; or

·       Evidence of welfare arrangements on an organised tour, homestay program or on a government supported program.

The person responsible for the minor’s welfare may also be required to provide a National Police Clearance certificate from the Australian Federal Police.


Senior applicants

Visa applicants aged 75 years or older will be required to undertake a health examination with one of our panel doctors. Where necessary, the panel doctor may request additional medical tests. Applicants aged 75 or older are also required to provide evidence of a health insurance policy valid for the entire period of intended stay in Australia.



Record your full name and date of birth in your application form in exactly the same way that it appears on your passport. Record any preferred names, aliases, maiden names, previous names, variations in spelling, or any other names as ‘other names/spellings’. Discrepancies can lead to problems obtaining a visa or boarding a flight.

Read and respond to the declarations carefully. Incorrect information may lead to a refusal of the application and a no-grant period of several years.

Ensure that your email address is correct and current. Check your inbox and junk email folder regularly.

All applications require a colour scan of a passport. Most applications will require some evidence of the purpose of travel and the applicant’s circumstances in their home country. Refer to the ‘Step by step’ tabs of the relevant webpage for guidance on what documents to provide with an application for a visa or citizenship. Minors (under 18) and seniors (75 and older) usually require additional information.

Upload high quality colour scans of all required original documentation and English translations to your ImmiAccount at the time you lodge your application. Certified copies are not required. Do not post original documents unless we specifically ask you to. Do not send your passport, only a colour scan is required. 

Supporting information must be genuine. Non-genuine documents or false or misleading information may lead to refusal of the application and exclude the client and family members from obtaining visas for several years.



All documents in a language other than English, including Portuguese, must be translated. Provide the original language document and the English translation.

Passports, bank statements and annual income tax declarations do not require translations if information would be clear to a person who only understands English.

In Australia, documentation must be translated by a translator accredited by NAATI.

Outside Australia, official documents must be translated by a sworn translator (tradutor juramentado in Brazil). Examples of official documents include:

·       Marriage and divorce certificates

·       Birth certificates

·       Child custody documentation

·       National ID cards

·       Police clearance certificates

·       Military discharge certificates

Accurate translations must be provided for other documentation. ‘Accurate translations’ do not need to be completed by sworn translators, but must accurately reflect the content of the document. We do not accept translations which are inaccurate or of poor quality, such as online translations.

If in doubt as to whether the translation should be from a sworn translator or just an ‘accurate translation’, provide a sworn translation.


Health requirement

You may be required to undertake a health examination with a panel physician. If required, see the department's list of office locations for information on panel physicians. Examinations from other physicians are unacceptable. Medical examinations costs are met by the applicant.

You can download a letter for the panel doctor from your application in ImmiAccount and schedule a medical examination after you apply for a visa. Present the HAP letter and your passport to the panel doctor. For urgent travel, you can complete My Health Declarations before applying.

If you have any ongoing health care or any special needs, you should report such condition in detail when lodging your application, or if you develop a condition after submitting an application, notify the department immediately.

You may be required to undergo a health examination, if:

·       You plan to stay in Australia for 6 months or more

·       You are likely to enter a health care or hospital environment in Australia

·       If you intend to work as (or study to be) a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic

·       If you are likely to work (or be a trainee) at an Australian childcare centre, including preschools and crèches

·       You are pregnant and intend to give birth in Australia*

·       If you are aged 75 years or older.

*Pregnant applicants are not recommended to undergo x-rays in the first 3 months of gestation. If you decide to undergo such examinations it is advisable to discuss the risks involved with your doctor and the examining physician. You may wish to request the deferral of your visa application until after the birth of your child.


Character requirement

Everyone who applies to enter Australia is assessed against the character requirement. You may be required to provide police checks. If required, see the information on police checks for each country in which you have spent at least 12 months in the last 10 years, since turning 16 years of age. For full details, click ‘view more’ when there is an option.

Residents of Brazil must provide certificates from both Justice Federal and the State Justice Department. Applicants who reside or formerly resided in Brazil on Visitor visas are required to provide police checks from the Brazilian Federal Police.


Biometrics requirement

Applicants in Brazil currently do not need to provide biometrics information at lodgement. Applicants lodging visa applications in selected locations, regardless of nationality, may be requested to attend an Australian Visa Application Centre or an Australian Biometrics Collection Centre in person to lodge their application and/or provide their biometrics. If required, see the information on biometrics collection centres for your location.



Visa types

All non-Australian citizens require a visa to travel to Australia. You need to get your visa before you travel to Australia. You might need a visa to transit through Australia to another destination.

Always refer to the Department of Home Affairs website before lodging a visa application. This website contains comprehensive information about the full range of visa products, including eligibility, forms, fees and application procedures.

To find the visa best suited to your personal circumstances use the Visa Finder. Following are some of the visas commonly applied for from Brazil.


Visitor (Tourist and Business streams)



Work and Holiday 

Temporary work or Temporary activity

Skilled - smartmoveaustralia



Resident Return



Visitor (Tourist and Business streams)

The most common Visitor visas in this region are the Tourist and Business Visitor streams. Visitor visas are for short trips to Australia when there is no intention to work. Visitor visa holders are not permitted to work while in Australia.

Visitor visas usually allow stays of up to 3 months depending on the circumstances and purpose of the visit. If you wish to stay longer than 3 months, you should provide sufficient information as to why you are requesting a longer stay. The Business Visitor visa does not allow a stay of more than 3 months. Visitor visas may be granted for a single entry or with permission for multiple entries, usually over a 12-month period.

You cannot include family members as dependants; each family member needs to apply separately. Any family members accompanying a Business Visitor should apply for a Tourist stream unless they also intend to participate in the business activities.

You will be required to undergo a health examination for stays of 6 months or longer or if entering a hospital environment (including for visiting patients).

Applicants aged 75 years or older will also need to undergo a health examination and provide evidence of health insurance to cover the proposed period in Australia.

Minor children must provide evidence custody and welfare arrangements.


Tourist stream

This visa is for travellers intending to visit Australia for:

·       Tourism

·       Visiting family or friends

·       Amateur sporting events

·       Short term study (up to 3 months)

·       Accompanying family member on a Business Visitor visa without undertaking Business Visitor activities

·       Other purposes other than business or medical treatment.


Business Visitor stream

This visa is for travellers planning to visit Australia for business visitor activities, including:

·       General business or employment enquiries

·       Negotiating business contracts

·       Chaperone for school trips

·       Official government to government visits*

·       Unpaid participation in a conference, trade fair or seminar.

Business visitor activities do not include:

·       Work

·       Sales of goods or services to the public

·       Competing in sporting events

·       Acting, musical performances or commercial film-making

·       Accompanying family members, unless the family member is travelling for business visitor activities.

* Officials applying for a visa in the course of acting as a representative of a foreign government may be eligible to apply for Visitor visas without payment of a Visa Application Charge. Officials must provide a Third Person Note (or Note Verbale) and a scanned image of the biodata page of a diplomatic or official passport with their application to be eligible for a waiver.




Transit visas

Transit visas are for travellers who intend to remain in Australia no longer than 72 hours and can demonstrate that the principal purpose of entering Australia is to pass through Australia to either:

·       transit to another country; or

·       join a vessel as a crew member*.

*Maritime crew members must obtain a Maritime Crew visa before applying for a Transit visa.

No fee is payable for Transit visa applications.

High-quality colour scan of passport biodata page and travel arrangements from Australia must be provided with the application.




Student visas

Student visas are for people who want to study a CRICOS registered course in Australia. The student’s spouse or de facto partner and dependent children may apply to accompany the student to Australia.

The document checklist tool available in the ‘step by step’ tab of the Student visa page provides personalised information about documentary requirements. Note that some items in the checklist only apply to minor students, family members, special categories and research students. If these do not apply to you, they may be disregarded.

All applicants for a student visa must be a genuine applicant for entry. They must stay as a student and be able to show an understanding that studying in Australia is the primary reason of their student visa -  Genuine Student requirement

Student Guardian visa

This visa allows a parent or guardian to accompany an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a Student visa. Work in Australia on a Student Guardian visa is not permitted.


Temporary work or Temporary activity

This page introduces a range of temporary visas. If interested in working in Australia, you may also consider Skilled visas.

Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa

This visa is a temporary visa that lets you enter Australia, generally for a maximum of three months to:

·       do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work

·       in limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia's interest.


Temporary Work (International Relations) visa

This visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis:

·       in relation to a bilateral agreement (Government Agreement stream),

·       to represent a foreign government, who will not be given official status in Australia, or a person who is to be employed as a foreign language teacher by a foreign government in an Australian school (Foreign Government Agency stream),

·       to do domestic work for an eligible diplomat

·       as a person with statutory privileges and immunities (Privileges and Immunities stream).


Temporary Activity visa

This visa has a number of streams, and allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:

·       Special Program - participate in a special programme approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits

·       Entertainment Activities - work in the entertainment industry

·       Invited Participant - participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation

·       Research Activities - participate or observe in an Australian research project

·       Exchange Arrangements - work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement

·       Sporting Activities - participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs

·       Religious Work - do full-time religious work

·       Superyacht Crew - be employed as a superyacht crew member

·       Domestic work for executives - do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives

·       Australian Government Endorsed Events - participate in a government endorsed event.

This visa requires sponsorship if:

·       your stay in Australia is for more than three months; or

·       you apply in Australia.

If you apply from outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for three months or less, the organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events/activities you will be involved in must pass the support test.

If you apply from outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for more than three months you must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor or sponsor who passes the sponsorship test.



Australia has a number of Skilled visa options for individuals who wish to work or invest in Australia. These visas are designed to target labour shortages, diversify business expertise and increase entrepreneurial talent, without displacing Australian workers. You may need to submit an expression of interest and receive an invitation before lodging an application.



There are several visa products for people intending to travel to Australia as the partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. You may use the Visa Finder on the Department of Home Affairs website to help you choose the appropriate visa.


Partner visa
A partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen may apply for a Partner (Provisional) visa and a Partner (Migrant) visa. The provisional visa is temporary and the migrant visa is permanent. You only need to apply once to be considered for both the temporary, then later the permanent Partner visa.


Prospective Marriage Visa
This visa allows partners of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to marry in Australia within nine months. Once married, holders of this visa can then apply for a Partner visa.


New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship

This visa allows a person who is not a New Zealand citizen but is a member of the family unit of a New Zealand citizen to live and work in Australia for up to five years - New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship visa.



Children of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens and some orphan relatives may apply for a visa to enter and remain permanently in Australia.

You cannot lodge the following visa applications via ImmiAccount or by sending to this Australian mission. From 1 April 2020, all Child, Adoption, Orphan Relative and Dependent Child visa applications must be sent to one the following addresses:

By post:

Department of Home Affairs
Child and Other Family Processing Centre
Locked Bag 7

By courier:

Department of Home Affairs
Child and Other Family Processing Centre
Wellington Central
836 Wellington Street


Child visa
This visa is for children who are natural, adopted or step children of an Australian citizen*, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

*If a parent was an Australian citizen at the time of the child’s birth, see Australian citizenship by descent.


Adoption visa
This visa is for children who are under the age of 18 and who have been, or are about to be, adopted outside Australia by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Children adopted before the parent became an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen may apply for a Child visa.


Orphan Relative visa
This visa is for children who are under the age of 18, are a relative of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, and whose parents are unable to look after them because they are deceased, permanently incapacitated or of unknown whereabouts.


Dependent Child visa
This visa is for children with a parent who holds a Partner (Provisional) visa and is in the process of obtaining a Partner (Migrant) visa. The child must be sponsored by the same person sponsoring the child’s parent.


Resident Return

Resident Return visas

Permanent resident visas generally allow the holder to return to Australia as many times as required within five years of grant. Resident Return visas allow current or former Australian permanent residents, or former Australian citizens to re-enter Australia outside of the original travel period.



Foreign government employees assigned to diplomatic missions and consular posts (and some international organisations) in Australia, and their partners and dependent children, may apply for a diplomatic visa.

To apply, the headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or the international organisation) must provide the following documents to the Australian diplomatic mission with responsibility for the sending country at least 4 weeks before proposed commencement:

·       Colour scan of passport bio-page

·       Third Person Note (or Note Verbale) for the Officer with the following information:

                                 i.            Name

                               ii.            Place and date of birth

                             iii.            Residential address

                             iv.            Citizenship, including dual citizenship

                               v.            Advice whether the applicant is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident

                             vi.            Title/position to be occupied and mission

                            vii.            Passport type and expiry date

                          viii.            Length of posting

                              ix.            Name of predecessor and expected date of departure from Australia

                               x.            Proposed date of travel to Australia

                              xi.            Full job description

                            xii.            Curriculum Vitae (if new position)

·       Third Person Note (or Note Verbale) for any accompanying family members with the following information:

                                 i.            Name

                               ii.            Place and date of birth

                             iii.            Citizenship, including dual citizenship

                             iv.            Advice whether the applicant is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident

                               v.            Passport type and expiry date

                             vi.            Study intentions for adult dependent child (until their 25th birthday) who is a member of the household.